Thursday, April 17, 2008

Whats' it about???


People ask questions (specially Jackie). Questions like, why run ? Is it even a sport? I don't get it, how do you win, is it a race? All these questions about long distance running have made be think, what's running about? Specially since I have been into competitive sport like Basketball, where its clearly defined,what role will you play, how much time you get, who you have to beat,etc etc.

Since running is new to me, I am thinking where are all these elements in this sport? I know that may be 500-1000 people in a marathon compete to "win", but whats the motivation for all the other 44000.
Just as tennis, racket ball,etc increase your reflexes, decrease response time, make you think without thinking. Just as Basketball teaches you to be a team player (its debatable), to believe in strategy and execution, etc. Long distance running is about all the things I have listed below

Its about building endurance.
Its about setting a goal, and training for it religiously.
It about thinking pain is normal.
Its about believing that you can do it, no matter how far fetched the dream is (26.2 miles).
Its about personal best.
Its about becoming incrementally better.
Its about sense of victory that comes from doing something you haven't done before (miles,minutes,route,etc) and not by defeating others.
Its one thing in life where you don't think in terms of "can I pull it off?', rather you think in terms of I will make it happen.
Its about enjoying the journey (training) as much as you plan to enjoy the destination (race day finish line).
Its about building character.
Its about training for something you will do in 12-18 weeks, and not tomorrow.


There, I said it.
So go Pistons!!! go Bears!! go Tigers!!! go ME!!!!

- DFG

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Aakash, wonderful writing! I really enjoyed reading this post. Its very encouraging and is so true! I wish you all the best for your training and I am sure you will finish what you aim for! Keep up the writing!